Friday, June 27, 2008

Exercise Physiology

Unit 2 lab project
Introduction: Measured my pulse, respiration rate, and blood pressure at rest and then after doing certain activities that I picked out. Before getting started I measured all of these before I even started doing my activities. In order to measure each one of these I used an electronic blood pressure cuff that gave me the systolic, diastolic and then the pulse. To find the respiration rate I counted the number of respirations in half a minute and then multiplied by two.

Hypothesis: Before even starting this experiment I thought that all my metabolic measurements would greatly increase especially doing jumping jacks and walking.

Analysis of data: From each activity the pulse, respiration, and blood pressure slightly went up in most cases. However I thought the data would have increased a lot more then they did. As I took my respiration rate after the activities the beat was stronger and it was a lot easier for me to count.

Problems with your data or technique: Because the levels didnt go up as much as I thought they would. I thought something was wrong with the electronic blood pressure cuff so I redid some of the activities and redid the readings but nothing changed.

Conclusion: The harder an activity that you do the harder your body has to work to keep your blood pumping and helps keep your body temperature stable. Therefore as long as the circulatory system is working correctly it keeps the metabolic parameters stable even when doing exercise.

No comments: